— March 18, 2020
Bishop Crosby today issued several clarifications and expansions of earlier directives regarding parish practices for COVID19. As a consequence, there will be several changes to practices here at St. Pius:
- The Church is no longer allowed to be open to parishioners for any reason.
- Consequently, we are canceling effective immediately scheduled times for private prayer or the sacrament of reconciliation.
- The Sacrament of Reconciliation is only available by appointment, presuming proper social distance is maintained.
- The sacrament of Reconciliation is always to be available in case of danger of death.
- Parishioners are to be informed of opportunities to watch televised masses (many of these are also online): Vision TV: Sunday 8:00 a.m.; Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. & 12:00 noon; Saturday 8:00 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. Salt+Light: Monday-Saturday 6:30 am. 9:30 a.m. (with Pope), 11:00 a.m. 3:00 p.m. and 10:30 p.m.; Sunday 11:00 a.m. & 10:30 p.m.).
- Parishioners are encouraged to pray for other parishioners and for all those whose lives are being affected by the virus. The Rosary, prayerful reading of Sacred Scripture and other devotions are recommended.
- Funeral Masses are not permitted. Visitation and vigil services at funeral homes may take place according to the decision of local funeral homes and families of the deceased. However, Priests may, but are not required to, visit or offer prayers at the funeral home.
- The Eucharist is not to be taken to parishioners who are homebound at this time. Similarly, it is not possible to bring the Eucharist to Senior Residences and Nursing Homes.
- Further directives are to be expected regarding Hospital ministry.