What Can I Do?
There are a ton of ways to get involved in making this Christmas an incredibly impactful one for our parishioners, visitors, and neighbours. From helping with a Christmas pageant to performing Christmas Carols, from sharing a Christmas greeting to decorating, and from helping out in person to assisting us online, there’s something for everyone! Want to get involved? Check out all the opportunities below.
Have you got a beautiful voice you’d like to share with the community? How about the ability to play an instrument? We would love to showcase your talents on our livestream, whatever they may be! Due to copyright laws, we are only allowed to stream certain music, so if you’d like to record something, get in touch with us at email@example.com before choosing a song, just to make sure. We’re hoping to have all recordings – video or audio – in by December 8th, so touch base soon!
One of my favourite Christmas memories was heading off to midnight Mass the year I lived in a small town in British Columbia. The Mass ended with a Christmas greeting from the Parish Priest in English and Norwegian – the two tongues he grew up speaking. Afterwards, he invited those present to wish their fellow parishioners Merry Christmas in their own tongues. We had Christmas greetings in Tagalog, Spanish, French, Italian, Swedish, and Finnish. What a beautiful example of the catholic (universal) nature of our Church!
We’re looking for brief Christmas video greetings recorded by families, individuals, and groups in our Parish. If you come from another cultural tradition, we would love for you to also share any traditions from your experience of Christmas back home… and perhaps even share your Christmas greeting in your native tongue. (Be sure to also send us a simple English translation for boring English-only speakers like Fr. John). Just email your video to firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re hoping to have all video greetings returned no later than December 15th so we have time to create the finished product.
- If using a tablet or cell phone camera, make sure to film horizontally. This creates an image that will fit the screen better.
- Make sure you’re in a place with good lighting – ideally from the front. Bright light behind you will cast shadows on your face, and not having enough light will make for a poor quality image.
- Try to find a quiet space to film. Background noises (like dogs barking, cars driving by, or screaming toddlers!) will make it hard to hear you well.
- Try not to film with highly reflective surfaces behind you. This can be distracting for the viewer.
- If possible, make use of a tripod or place your camera on a solid surface to prevent it from moving during filming.
- We have the ability to trim the start and end and make other simple edits…so if you need to place it down to start filming and then get into position, that’s okay!
- Feel free to dress up in seasonal attire or pose in front of decorations, your nativity, or your tree, if they’re up.
- From all of us, we wish you a Merry Christmas!
- From our family to yours, Merry Christmas!
- I wish you many blessings in this beautiful season. Merry Christmas!
- We hope you have a blessed and joyous Christmas, even if things are a little different from normal!
- Thanks for joining us online tonight. We look forward to when we can all be back in our building for Christmas!
- This is _____, and I want to wish you a very blessed and joyous Christmas!
Each year, a dedicated group of parishioners decorate the inside of our building to make it the beautiful and reverent space that we love for Christmas. This year, we’re also going to be decorating outside the building so those who can’t join us are able to have a taste of the season simply by passing by. Interested in helping decorate either the inside or outside – or both? Email us at email@example.com. Outside decorating will take place on December 12th, and decorating for Christmas inside will take place December 23rd/24th.
Christmas Ministries – In Person
It’s said that it takes a village to raise a child, and it certainly takes a community to get a church ready to welcome everyone on Christmas! We are looking for people who would like to help welcome and seat guests, run our Welcome Desk, tidy and clean up the church between Masses, and more. Want to volunteer or learn more about how you might best be able to help us? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or head to https://stpiusbrantford.ca/serve/ and fill out a form.
Christmas Ministries – Online
With limits on the number of people who can be in the building on Christmas, we are aiming to provide an incredible online experience for those who need to – or choose to – join us this way. To create this experience we’re looking for a number of volunteers to help. We’re seeking those who’d like to help act as Online Hosts, those who want to help run our livestream, and people who want to help put it all together ahead of time. Help us impact hundreds of people across the city of Brantford and beyond through our online presence this Christmas! Email email@example.com or head to https://stpiusbrantford.ca/serve/ and fill out a form.
One sure sign of the season is a Christmas pageant, especially when presented by the youngest members of the community. While we can’t gather together to create one in person, we are working on a digital Christmas pageant this year. Roles have already been assigned and filming is underway, but if you wish you’d seen this earlier, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know. We might have another way you can help!